Over the span of three years or so, I’ve collected tons of magazines and, like many people, Vogue is one of my absolute favourites.
The editorial spreads are always stunning and creative and the articles are compelling. However, if there's one thing you can never miss on a Vogue, it's the cover.
Even before the issues hit the newsstands, people are often anxious to see who the next cover star is going to be, whether it be a celebrity or a supermodel.
For the month of June, Sarah Jessica Parker and Agyness Deyn grace the covers of the US Vogue and the British Vogue, respectively.
While photographs of beautiful people on the cover is what we've become accustomed to, it hasn't always been this way.
Vogue magazine was founded in 1892 by Arthur Baldwin Turnure and began its days as a weekly social journal for the high society crowd; fashion was not the original focus.
It was not until 1909 when Conde Nast bought the magazine that things began to change. Within a few years, he transformed Vogue into a high-end women's fashion magazine. He hired some of the best illustrators to create beautiful, captivating covers for the magazine to suit the times.
Here are some of the early Vogue covers that I found stunning.
Which do you prefer, the photographs or the illustrations? I appreciate them both as they bring completely different aesthetics to the cover but while the illustrations are gorgeous, I think the photographs are more suited to our time.
To see more vintage Vogue covers, click here.
To read an article on the June US Vogue photo shoot and also see behind-the-scenes footage, click here.
To get a sneak peek at the contents of the June British Vogue, click here.
- ► 2010 (1125)
- ► 2009 (391)
- Cool Vintage Finds - Pumpin' 80s
- Fatal Attraction 2 - White Handbags
- No longer a Polyvorgin...
- Fashion Inspiration - Vivid Colour
- What I'm wearing - Sunny disposition
- Love this - H&M Summer 08 TV Spot
- The Short and the Belted
- Like it or not? - Net Heel Boots
- Random Thoughts - Always in Vogue
- Sale Alert - Discoo
- The Headdress Affair: A Floral Fantasy
- Celebrity Style for less - Diane Kruger
- D’oh! I’ve been tagged…
- Cool Vintage Find - Playing with colour blocks
- Blog Announcement - FA2F Blog Badge
- Indie Designer Spotlight - MyBLACKShop
- Fashion Inspiration - Lightning Bolts
- What I got - Saturday Shopping
- Sale Alert and Giveaway - Tilly's
- Met Costume Gala - Make me a superhero!
- Blog Announcement - New Header
- Get it for way less - Christian Siriano Blouse
- Like it or not? - Jacket Skort
- Random Thoughts - Style from a childhood past
- Ebay Spring Trend - Sheer cover
- ▼ May (25)