Wednesday, April 7, 2010
Jeff Koons To Design the 17th Art BMW (And A Really Good Look At The Other 16)
above: Jeff Koons' concept art for the car
The New York Times announced yesterday that the next BMW art car, a long standing tradition, will be done by contemporary artist Jeff Koons.
Koon’s relationship with BMW started more than two decades ago when he first drove a BMW whilst living in Munich, home to the BMW Group headquarters. It was in 2003 that Koons first expressed his desire to create a BMW Art Car.
Frank-Peter Arndt, member of the Board of Management for the BMW AG and responsible for BMW Group’s international cultural formats, said: “We are enormously pleased about Jeff Koons’ eagerly anticipated contribution to the BMW Art Car series, celebrating its 35th anniversary. Art Cars are part of the DNA of BMW’s cultural engagement. As manifested in Koons’ latest sculptural work, what unites us is the belief that nothing is impossible. Our company and Jeff Koons are drawn to permanent innovation and cutting-edge technology.”
above: Jeff Koons (right)with celebrated architect Richard Meier (left) at the party celebrating the announcement that Jeff Koons will create the 17th BMW Art Car at Koons‘ Manhattan studio, Tuesday, February 2, 2010.
It's fairly well known that BMW has commissioned 16 Art Cars over the last four decades. The cars have toured museums around the world, including the Louvre in Paris, the Royal Academy in London, the Whitney Museum of Modern Art in New York, the Palazzo Grassi in Venice, the Powerhouse Museum in Sydney and at the Guggenheim museums in New York and Bilbao.
Four of them, by the artists Andy Warhol, Roy Lichtenstein, Frank Stella and Robert Rauschenberg, appeared at Grand Central Terminal in New York for two weeks in March of 2009. Those pieces (shown below) are part of a collection of 16 cars, from a 635CSi to an M1, that BMW has turned over to artists to re-imagine since 1975.
Andy Warhol, BMW M1 Group 4 Race Version, 1979:
Roy Lichtenstein, BMW 320i Group 5 Race Version, 1977:
Frank Stella, BMW 3.0 CSL, 1976:
Robert Rauschenberg, BMW 635 CSi, 1986:
Here are the other 12.
Alexander Calder, 3.0CSL, 1975. One of Calder’s last works, his BMW Art Car competed in the 1975 24 Hours of Le Mans:
Ernest Fuchs, 635CSi, 1982. He said his piece “represents a hare racing across a motorway at night and leaping over a burning car.”:
Ken Done, M3 Group A racing model, 1989. Along with Michael Jagamara Nelson, Mr. Done was one of two Australian artists commissioned by BMW in 1989. He painted parrots and parrot fish on his car:
Michael Jagamara Nelson, M3 Group A racing model, 1989. Using a style derived from traditional Aboriginal painting, Mr. Nelson’s work portrays a landscape as seen from the sky:
Matazo Kayama, 535i, 1990. Mr. Kayama used Japanese techniques of foil impression and metal cutting over an airbrushed surface:
Cesar Manrique, 730i, 1990. The Spanish artist and architect said he wanted his car “to appear as if it were gliding through space without encountering any form of resistance.”:
Esther Mahlangu, 525i, 1991. She painted her car in the traditional form of the Ndebele tribe of South Africa:
A. R. Penck, Z1, 1991. The German artist covered his car with pictographic images and symbols in a design that evokes primitive cave paintings:
Sandro Chia, M3 GTR, 1992. “Look at anything hard enough and it turns into a face,” said this Italian painter and sculptor of his Art Car. “And a face is a focal point of life and of the world.”:
David Hockney, 850CSi, 1995. His design offers an “inside” view of the car, including renderings of the intake manifolds painted on the hood:
Jenny Holzer, V12 LMR, 1999. Her Le Mans Roadster includes aphorisms like “The Unattainable Is Invariably Attractive.”:
Photographs © BMW AG
Left: David Hockney painting Art Car 1995, BMW 850 CSi
Right: Jenny Holzer signing Art Car 1999, BMW V12 LMR
The final and 16th art car of the series thus far; Olafur Eliasson, H2R, 2007. He turned BMW’s hydrogen-powered race car into an Art Car on ice (this one has to be kept in a refrigerated room, for obvious reasons):
The Process - Installation view Studio Olafur Eliasson, Commissioned by BMW Group:
© Olafur Eliasson and BMW Group
special thanks to BMW, Dezeen and Car Body Design and The Curated Object for additional images. and to the Los Angeles Times and Robert Peele for additional info.
Miniature replicas of all of these cars (except for the Olafur Eliasson one) are available for purchase here.
- The Latest Lexus Hybrid Is An Electric Carbon Fibe...
- Gallery Jilbab Muslim Fashion & Different
- green beautiful Model jilbab muslim by Keisha
- Fashions Jilbab Che Che Kirani
- The Most Beautiful Nail Art (Or Manicure Masterpie...
- Black Simple jilbab Muslim Fashion Veil
- Beautiful Jilbab Trendy Fashion 2010
- Jilbab Islamic Fashion Festiva by tuan hasnah
- Antoine Laverdiere's Restaurant Animal Lights Avai...
- Iron Man 2 Movie Tie-Ins & Merchandising From Frag...
- pink Jilbab Trendy Fashion 2010
- beautiful fashions jilbab by keisha
- unique jilbab muslim color pink
- Kria Bones Up On Jewelry Design, Vertebrae Necklac...
- Move Over Snuggie, We've Got Happiness In Bed
- Hugh Saves Hollywood Sign
- Badr and Water & seeing the dam in Quaryat
- Casual Dream Jilbab Muslim Fashion
- green beautiful Model jilbab muslim
- The Bristow Jilbab Muslim Fashion color Pink
- More Steampunk Architecture From Dave Trautrimas -...
- Model Jilbab Muslim Fashion red color
- Beautiful Model Jilbab Muslim Fashion
- Model Jilbab Muslim Fashion Nurul Izzah
- Ben's So New Money. A Close Look At The 100$ Redes...
- Maison Moschino: Fashionable Fantasy Accommodation...
- jilbab Shabrina Gamis coklate
- What I lost in Translation, is my ability to speak...
- My Advice for All WOULD-BE-CASSANOVAS in Oman
- Iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii'm Back!
- Coca-Cola Light Gets Dressed By Another Designer, ...
- Zaskia Adya Mecca with jilbab
- Musilm Fashion jilbab in Cinema Love Story as Ayat...
- Brown Fashion Jilbab Muslim by Zaskia Mecca
- 2010 Simple of wedding fashions jilbab
- Beautiful girl hooded with fashions jilbab
- Jonas Samson's Light Emitting Wallpaper Becomes Ec...
- Surreal Artwork by Deborah Hamon Combines Photogra...
- jilbab cotton thin color krem
- beautiful muslimah jilbab Jewels coklate
- jilbab manohara paris coklate
- New Underground Eco-friendly Hotel Bella Vista By ...
- The Little Black Dress Gets Crystallized By 22 Des...
- Marisa Haque Muslim Fashion Jilbab Wear
- Blue Fashions Jilbab by Nini Payet
- Jilbab Fashions Livina Pearl coklate
- Drink To Earth Day With Yet 10 More Organic Vodkas...
- 72 Eco-Friendly Finds For Earth Day!
- bross jilbab fashions in malaysia
- Levi's Integrates Facebook's Like Button On Their ...
- 16w21 Apartments By Zac Posen Get Dolled Up In The...
- beautiful fashions jilbab color pink
- beautiful sweety jilbab fashions
- beautiful jilbab children
- beautiful fashions jilbab gallery
- 10 reasons not jilbab
- Fashion Inspiration - Business Chic
- Plenty Of Pot-Related Posts For 420.
- 2010 best beautiful jilbab fashions
- beautiful jilbab fashions color green
- Beautiful Jilbab Kids Fashion Moslem
- Designers Get Disney-ized. Cartoon Couture Fashion...
- Hey Fornasetti Fanatics! More Fun Collaborations &...
- Some Toy! Audi's Auto Union Type C Limited Edition...
- Jilbab Moslem Fashion 2010 in Kuala Lumpur
- A model showcases jilbab Moslem Fashion Designs
- Aspiral Clocks From London. Telling Time With A Tw...
- 2010 Islamic Moslem Fashion jilbab Festival by Kie...
- Designs jilbab moslem islamic fashion
- Blue beautiful jilbab islamic wedding dresses in d...
- Skull Chair, Brain Ottoman & Spine Lamp. The Vanit...
- The Controversial SHREK Fashion Editorial For Vman...
- New modern fashions jilbab islamic wedding dress
- Models Women Muslim Fashion jilbab in Iran
- Beautiful Jilbab Fashion Moslem Zaskia
- Product Pick Of the Week: Maluka Pebble Sofas & Ch...
- 2010 Simple jilbab of wedding fashion
- 2010 Muslim Fashion jilbab Show
- 2010 Gallery Model Muslim Jilbab Fashion
- White Jilbab Moslem for Wedding Gown Fashion
- red fashions jilbab PARIS butterfly quadrilateral
- Age 103 And Still Designing. The Life & Work Of Le...
- Elegant and Beautiful Jilbab Gallery Moslem Fashio...
- Best Elegant Muslim Fashion color Yellow Gallery J...
- Muslim Fashion of Jilbab with Batik Texture in ind...
- The Dekka Daybed By FurnID; A Synthesis of Danish ...
- Jilbab Creation Sweet Layer - Jilbab Batik
- Creative Sweet Layer Jilbab - jilbab Tulle
- beautiful woman with a pure heart jilbab
- Students in Belgium Wear Jilbab Banned
- GLEE does Madonna; Side By Side Photos and More!
- Any Fashion Designers want to work for Celine?
- Gut Oggau Puts Their Best Face Forward. On Their W...
- jilbab jasmine blossom in indonesia
- rose simpel jilbab in indonesia
- Jilbab Exclusive Mother Child FIRST in Indonesia
- Artist Eric Daigh Sticks It To Us With His Pushpin...
- jilbab with beautiful petal deatil with shayla
- Jilbab with beautiful 4 tier teal diamantes with c...
- Our Beautiful Dubai jilbab by khaleeji style
- ▼ April (133)
- ► 2009 (391)