Saturday, April 10, 2010
Rock a Bye Deadly Baby: The Ne Zha Works of Shi Jinsong
The Ne Zha Baby Boutique By Shi Jinsong, 2006 - 2008
Na Zha (or Nezha), is a Chinese mythical creature, an impish trickster with supernatural powers and flamboyant fashion sense (legend has it his red silk trousers generated so much heat the sea began to boil, enraging the East Sea Dragon King). Na Zha's essential ferocity long since tamed in the Chinese psyche, he is now chiefly celebrated as a God of Lotteries and Gambling, a commodified totem of the new global economy.
above left; the exhibition catalog. above right; the artist Shi Jinsong
Through his razor-sharp sculptures and related works, Shi Jinsong initiates a dialogue, at once menacing and ironic, between the forms of mythic Chinese culture and modern day globalization. "Na Zha" is here recast as the brand name for an outrageously unsafe line of baby products.
Meticulously assembled in stainless steel from intricate mechanical drawings, they include a deadly Carriage; a sadistic Cradle; a sinister Walker; and a malicious, multi-part Toy complete with needle-tipped pacifiers and dismembering abacus. Baby Boutique confronts its "shopper" with a radically strange and seductive "product," lethal luxury designed to reveal the forces that dominate our lives in unimaginable ways. - above text courtesy of Absolute Arts
Various Ne Zha strollers by Shi Jinsong:
For his first exhibition at Chambers Fine Art in 2006, Shi Jinsong produced a range of articles for baby Ne Zha, consisting of cradles, strollers, rattles and a walker. Two years later, in the second showing of Ne Zha, the infant seems to have grown up into a toddler and Jinsong's works include miniature suits of armor, a rocking horse, roller blades, a scooter and a tricycle.
Images from the first show (2006) at Chambers Fine Art Gallery:
above: Na Zha Stroller, Stainless steel, 2005, 40 1/6 x 38 5/6 x 32 2/7 in (102 x 98.6 x 82 cm)
above: Na Zha Cradle, Stainless steel, 2005, 24 x 31 7/8 x 24 3/8 in (61 x 81 x 62 cm)
above: Na Zha Rattle, Stainless steel, 2005, 3/4 x 5 1/4 x 3 3/4 in (30 x 13.3 x 9.6 cm)
above: Na Zha Baby Bottle, Stainless steel, 2005, 3 x 5 x 5 in (7.6 x 12.7 x 12.7 cm)
above: Na Zha Baby Toys, 2005, stainless steel
above: Na Zha Walker, 2005, stainless steel, 54 x 59 x 66 cm
Images from the second show (2008) of the Ne Zha Baby Boutique, 2008:
Above: baby suit of armor, stainless steel, 2008
above left, stainless steel baby armor and right, a stainless steel scooter, 2008
above: Full Armor-Mouse, Stainless steel, 2008, 31 1/2 x 11 3/4 x 7 7/8 in. (80 x 30 x 20 cm)
above: Rocking Horse, Stainless steel, 2008, 26 x 34 x 15 3/8 in. (66 x 86.5 x 39 cm)
above: Rollerblades, Stainless steel, 2008, 14 1/8 x 5 7/8 x 8 1/2 in. (36 x 15 x 21.5 cm)
above: tricycle, stainless steel, 2008
Earlier this year, Shi Jinsong's Ne Zha works were part of a 'China - contemporary revival', exhibition at the Palazzo Reale, in Milan, Italy. The images below are from his works in that show, courtesy of Designboom.
about the artist:
Born in Danyang County, Hubei Province in 1969, Shi Jinsong enrolled at the Hubei Academy of Fine Arts in 1994, majoring in sculpture and mastering a gamut of traditional techniques. Under the influence of three powerful stimuli - radical socio-cultural change in China; a reading of Foucault's Madness and Civilization; and the birth of his first daughter - the artist began to investigate ideas of transformation and control.
The images in this post are courtesy of Chambers Fine Art, Saatchi Gallery, Marella Gallery, ArtNet
- The Latest Lexus Hybrid Is An Electric Carbon Fibe...
- Gallery Jilbab Muslim Fashion & Different
- green beautiful Model jilbab muslim by Keisha
- Fashions Jilbab Che Che Kirani
- The Most Beautiful Nail Art (Or Manicure Masterpie...
- Black Simple jilbab Muslim Fashion Veil
- Beautiful Jilbab Trendy Fashion 2010
- Jilbab Islamic Fashion Festiva by tuan hasnah
- Antoine Laverdiere's Restaurant Animal Lights Avai...
- Iron Man 2 Movie Tie-Ins & Merchandising From Frag...
- pink Jilbab Trendy Fashion 2010
- beautiful fashions jilbab by keisha
- unique jilbab muslim color pink
- Kria Bones Up On Jewelry Design, Vertebrae Necklac...
- Move Over Snuggie, We've Got Happiness In Bed
- Hugh Saves Hollywood Sign
- Badr and Water & seeing the dam in Quaryat
- Casual Dream Jilbab Muslim Fashion
- green beautiful Model jilbab muslim
- The Bristow Jilbab Muslim Fashion color Pink
- More Steampunk Architecture From Dave Trautrimas -...
- Model Jilbab Muslim Fashion red color
- Beautiful Model Jilbab Muslim Fashion
- Model Jilbab Muslim Fashion Nurul Izzah
- Ben's So New Money. A Close Look At The 100$ Redes...
- Maison Moschino: Fashionable Fantasy Accommodation...
- jilbab Shabrina Gamis coklate
- What I lost in Translation, is my ability to speak...
- My Advice for All WOULD-BE-CASSANOVAS in Oman
- Iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii'm Back!
- Coca-Cola Light Gets Dressed By Another Designer, ...
- Zaskia Adya Mecca with jilbab
- Musilm Fashion jilbab in Cinema Love Story as Ayat...
- Brown Fashion Jilbab Muslim by Zaskia Mecca
- 2010 Simple of wedding fashions jilbab
- Beautiful girl hooded with fashions jilbab
- Jonas Samson's Light Emitting Wallpaper Becomes Ec...
- Surreal Artwork by Deborah Hamon Combines Photogra...
- jilbab cotton thin color krem
- beautiful muslimah jilbab Jewels coklate
- jilbab manohara paris coklate
- New Underground Eco-friendly Hotel Bella Vista By ...
- The Little Black Dress Gets Crystallized By 22 Des...
- Marisa Haque Muslim Fashion Jilbab Wear
- Blue Fashions Jilbab by Nini Payet
- Jilbab Fashions Livina Pearl coklate
- Drink To Earth Day With Yet 10 More Organic Vodkas...
- 72 Eco-Friendly Finds For Earth Day!
- bross jilbab fashions in malaysia
- Levi's Integrates Facebook's Like Button On Their ...
- 16w21 Apartments By Zac Posen Get Dolled Up In The...
- beautiful fashions jilbab color pink
- beautiful sweety jilbab fashions
- beautiful jilbab children
- beautiful fashions jilbab gallery
- 10 reasons not jilbab
- Fashion Inspiration - Business Chic
- Plenty Of Pot-Related Posts For 420.
- 2010 best beautiful jilbab fashions
- beautiful jilbab fashions color green
- Beautiful Jilbab Kids Fashion Moslem
- Designers Get Disney-ized. Cartoon Couture Fashion...
- Hey Fornasetti Fanatics! More Fun Collaborations &...
- Some Toy! Audi's Auto Union Type C Limited Edition...
- Jilbab Moslem Fashion 2010 in Kuala Lumpur
- A model showcases jilbab Moslem Fashion Designs
- Aspiral Clocks From London. Telling Time With A Tw...
- 2010 Islamic Moslem Fashion jilbab Festival by Kie...
- Designs jilbab moslem islamic fashion
- Blue beautiful jilbab islamic wedding dresses in d...
- Skull Chair, Brain Ottoman & Spine Lamp. The Vanit...
- The Controversial SHREK Fashion Editorial For Vman...
- New modern fashions jilbab islamic wedding dress
- Models Women Muslim Fashion jilbab in Iran
- Beautiful Jilbab Fashion Moslem Zaskia
- Product Pick Of the Week: Maluka Pebble Sofas & Ch...
- 2010 Simple jilbab of wedding fashion
- 2010 Muslim Fashion jilbab Show
- 2010 Gallery Model Muslim Jilbab Fashion
- White Jilbab Moslem for Wedding Gown Fashion
- red fashions jilbab PARIS butterfly quadrilateral
- Age 103 And Still Designing. The Life & Work Of Le...
- Elegant and Beautiful Jilbab Gallery Moslem Fashio...
- Best Elegant Muslim Fashion color Yellow Gallery J...
- Muslim Fashion of Jilbab with Batik Texture in ind...
- The Dekka Daybed By FurnID; A Synthesis of Danish ...
- Jilbab Creation Sweet Layer - Jilbab Batik
- Creative Sweet Layer Jilbab - jilbab Tulle
- beautiful woman with a pure heart jilbab
- Students in Belgium Wear Jilbab Banned
- GLEE does Madonna; Side By Side Photos and More!
- Any Fashion Designers want to work for Celine?
- Gut Oggau Puts Their Best Face Forward. On Their W...
- jilbab jasmine blossom in indonesia
- rose simpel jilbab in indonesia
- Jilbab Exclusive Mother Child FIRST in Indonesia
- Artist Eric Daigh Sticks It To Us With His Pushpin...
- jilbab with beautiful petal deatil with shayla
- Jilbab with beautiful 4 tier teal diamantes with c...
- Our Beautiful Dubai jilbab by khaleeji style
- ▼ April (133)
- ► 2009 (391)