Friday, May 14, 2010
Who's The Man? Artist Rudy de Belgeonne, That's Who.
Who’s the Man is an epic installation of a thousand individual hand-painted panels with words used to describe and define ‘man’ by artist Rudy de Belgeonne. The installation will form the centerpiece of an exhibition which opens at London's The Future Gallery in June 2010.
'Every type of man you’ve ever been called, ever felt like, ever known’
Inspired by all the weird and wonderful names he’s been called over the years, Rudy plays with the ever-changing identity and categorisation of the modern man by creating definitions of masculinity packaged as products, as each word becomes a logo in glossy seductive enamel colours: Hero, God, King, Scoundrel, Rogue, Brute, Bad Boy, Love God, Fancy Dan, Mama Man, Sonofabitch, Sonofagun, Bloke, Joe Schmoe, Golden Boy, Nancy Boy…and on and on…
Five years in the making, Who’s the Man is a series of 1000 typographic works painted in beautiful shiny signwriter’s enamel on wooden panels. The installation of 1000 original paintings will be exhibited alongside limited edition sets of different sub-groups – Good Guys, Bad Guys, Gay Guys, Insults, movie references and so on.
above: SwineFiendDevilBrute, 1118mm x 840mm, Giclee print, edition of 25
Presented in this way each word becomes a logo, advertising a response to the ever-changing male identity, defined by morality, sexuality and the body. Using seductively glossy colours, each word is painted in a style that reflects its meaning – either literal or subconscious – referencing our language, typography, brands and visual culture.
above left: Superman Lover, 840mm x 1118mm special edition of 10, hand-painted giclee w 23ct gold leaf
above right: BAM-GRD, 840mm x 1118mm, Giclee, edition of 25
On the simplest level, Who’s the Man is an encyclopaedic and decorative texture of emotionally resonant colours and designs, but the playful placement of each panel reads left to right, top to bottom as a witty poem or narrative, where word associations throw up questions in the mind of the viewer about their own attitudes and expectations of masculinity.
above left: 16 Big Shots, 1626mm x 1118mm, Giclee print, edition of 25
above right: Space Cowboy Gangster of Love
The entire work (5m x 4m) will be accompanied by a limited-edition series of hand re-touched prints of each of the various subsets.
There will be an opportunity to purchase limited edition pieces at the exhibition: on sale will be the 1,000-panelled installation and a series of hand re-touched giclee prints in limited editions of 10. Visitors may also request a special commission by Rudy de Belgeonne on wooden panels.
above: 16 Lovermen, 700mm x 500mm, hand painted, enamel on wood, edition of 10
Thursday 3 – Tuesday 8 June 2010
10.00 – 18.30
The Future Gallery
5 Newport Street, London WC2H 7HY
T: +44 (0)20 3301 4727
Pearl and Coutts, quality residential and commercial property lettings in London
Courvoisier The Future 500, an exclusive network of 800 rising stars across the UK
About the artist:
Rudy de Belgeonne is a Slade-trained artist who’s fascination with puzzles and gameplay led him to work for many years new media as an interactive games designer. In addition to his painting, Rudy has worked on a wide range of projects – both personal and professional – that occupy the space where art & technology meet. He lives and works in London.
all images and info courtesy of the artist and gallery
- More driving music. For M & me.
- Omani Arabic-for my girl in Jordan- part 1
- Saluting Design: An Army Of Military-Inspired Prod...
- UNICEF report on women and children in Oman, 2006
- The Omani Dress Project
- Frankincense, part 1
- Pretty Omani Hijab Styles and Make-Up
- Omani Bridal Hijab Styles
- Dixie Chicks-Wide Open Spaces & Cowboy Take Me Awa...
- Who I am-by Jessica Andrews
- yellow jilbab "barbie rumbai"
- green jilbab "barbie rumbai"
- Dennis Hopper, Behind The Camera And The Canvas.
- All the Cute Ramadan and Eid Decorations
- So Long Easy Rider. Dennis Hopper Dies Of prostate...
- MADDECK Playing Cards By Ozlem Olcer. They're Magi...
- Food Presentation Ideas for Ramadan
- Cubistic Cubbies: Cornell Boxes From TECTA
- Moon, Star, and Palm Decorations for Ramadaan
- Yummy Ramadaan Recipes: crescent Moon cookies
- Converse All Stars Go Upscale. Beautiful Leather H...
- Add Some Body Hair To Your Wardrobe, Courtesy Of N...
- beautiful jilbab pink
- beautiful jilbab wholesale
- jilbab wholesale color orange,red and blue
- The PANTONE Hotel In Brussels Offers Colorful Acco...
- Dr. Romanelli X Levi's California Beach Capsule Co...
- See This Art Exhibit Before It Migrates. Borderlan...
- picture jilbab fashions show
- Make A Doody In Denim: Huggies Launches Jean Diape...
- Mad About Khaleeji Abayas
- Dress Jilbab Brides Deborah Collection
- jilbab bridal by fatmasari
- elegant and exclusive jilbab bridal
- Cute Omani Kids
- Design That's Up To Par. La Bolleur's Mini Golf Co...
- Little Girl's Bedroom Design Inspiration
- Persian Fantasy Wallpaper for Bedroom/ a pink bedr...
- I wanna go skating.... Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!
- The Safe House In Poland Is A Modern Fortress With...
- My new blue and green room: inshaAllah
- Vintage Style DC Comic Posters By Michael Myers Jr...
- Damien Hirst & Other Artists Do Deck Chairs
- Zaho-Je te promets
- Driving in Oman (and yes, I know the cartoon isn't...
- An Omani Princess' To-Do List
- Home Decor That Goes Up To 11. Rock n' Roll Furnis...
- Handball First Division Championship Winner 2010
- jilbab bride by fatmasari
- It's A Scooter! It's A Stroller! It's The Roller...
- Stylish Jilbab Modern Bride
- Brinca Dada Does It Again! The Bennett House Minia...
- white and pink jilbab bride
- creation of a jilbab Muslim bride
- Olivier Kosta-Théfaine (Stak) Fires Up Some Cool C...
- 6 Minute Film By BBH For Johnnie Walker Takes Top ...
- jilbab bride made of siffon chameleon
- populer beautiful jilbab bride
- Artist Decorated Eames Chairs For Auction Benefit ...
- LOST: The Animated Series Project By Michael Myers...
- Super Sexy CPR Sells Fortnight Lingerie
- Sweet New Book! Lolli-POP by Massimo Gammacurta
- Transportation in Oman pt 1
- Omani Women's Traditional Clothing for Formal Occa...
- Handcrafted Wooden Trays Inspired By Architectural...
- gallery jilbab grosir
- The most popular beautiful jilbab
- jilbab grosir murah payet jepang bunga
- Design Your Own Throw Pillows At Inmod
- Dream & Fly. Mini Hotel Pods For The Weary Travele...
- Jilbab Jumbo wholesale Rayon Sulam
- Jilbab grosir Jumbo Kombinasi
- jilbab is a different definition of beauty
- World's Most Expensive Barbie Unveiled: Over Half ...
- Disney Hips Up Their Plushies & Classic Characters...
- Jilbab Grosir Murah untuk anak-anak
- jilbab grosir siana tali batik
- 4 macam jilbab grosir murah desain batik
- Who's The Man? Artist Rudy de Belgeonne, That's Wh...
- Private Co-Branding. Karl Lagerfeld's Strippable M...
- 0 To 60 In... An Hour. The Infiniti Special Editio...
- The Glänta Ceiling & Suspension Lamp By Johan Carp...
- A Sneak Peek At The 2010 Vader Project & Auction C...
- The Photography Of Eva Mueller
- More Amazing Arboreal Architecture. Baumraum Tree ...
- Pap(i)er Fashion At The Museum Bellerive
- Lean, Mean, Trims The Green & Every Lazy Homeowner...
- Jean Nouvel's New National Museum Of Qatar
- Metamorfosi Sinks & Origami Tubs From Stocco of It...
- Some Of The Sharpest Sharpie Art Out There
- Growing Rings & Necklaces by HAF, Now Available
- jilbab grosir cantik kancing 4 stripes
- jilbab grosir siana tali batik
- four Model Muslim Jilbab Fashion
- World's Most Expensive Dog Collars For The Haute H...
- jilbab grosir berwarna putih
- jilbab grosir berwarna hijau
- jilbab grosir berwarna kuning
- The Abaya as a Cape in Muslim Fashion Show
- Emirati Silver Square Abaya of Muslim Fashion
- ▼ May (120)
- ► 2009 (391)