Monday, May 24, 2010
The Safe House In Poland Is A Modern Fortress With Sliding Walls.
It looks like a modern fortress and is built as such. The Safe House by architect Robert Konieczny of Polish architecture firm, kwk promes, is a giant concrete cube whose walls were designed to move. The house was recently a shortlisted entry for the 2009 World Architecture News Awards.
The House is situated in a small village at the outskirts of Warsaw. The surroundings are dominated with usual 'polish cubes' from the sixties and old wooden barns. The most essential item for the clients was acquiring the feeling of maximum security in their future house. This objective determined building's outlook and performance.
The body of the building is a cuboid in which parts of the walls are movable. When the house opens up for the garden, eastern and western side walls move towards an exterior fence, creating a courtyard. After passing the gate one cannot enter the house or the garden any other way but through the main door, waiting in that safety zone, for its opening. The innovation of this consists in an interference of the movable walls into the urban structure of the property. Consequently, when the house is closed (at night for example) the safe zone is limited to the house's outline. During the day, as a result of opening of the walls, it extends to the garden surrounding the house.
Accomplishment of this idea required a lot of technically complex solutions. The sliding walls (both 2.2m high, 15 and 22m long) are not the only mobile elements of the building. Apart from these, there are large shutters – all 2.8m high, with width ranging up to 3.5m, and a drawbridge, leading to the roof terrace above the swimming pool.
A giant roll-down gate closing the southern elevation also functions as a movie projection screen. All the movable elements are based on built-in electric motors. The whole building is a concrete monolith, while its mobile parts – for the sake of considerable size – are light steel frameworks filled with mineral wool. As a result, the building is excellently insulated when closed. The whole house and all movable elements are finished with waterproof alder plywood. It resembles wood widely found on surrounding houses and barns, which makes it fit well into the landscape.
Once the house opens, the interior merges extensively with the garden. Wide glazings behind the movable walls let the building acquire energy during the day, in order to store it at night, when the house is closed.
This proceeding repeats every day – the house wakes up every morning and closes up after dusk. Such routine reminds processes occurring in nature – the house resembles a plant in its day and night cycle. (text description courtesy of world architecture news)
Construction and materials
The construction is a concrete monolith. Only the movable elements are made in light steel structure. Both concrete and steel walls are insulated with rock wool, and covered with 15 mm slabs of waterproof alder plywood, that was stained to darker tone, in order to make the house look alike the other buildings in the surroundings. The fence, that unites with the movable walls, is the same 2.2 m high, and is covered with an identical dark plywood. The interior, to stay in contrast, is kept in white. The floors are made of concrete and whitewashed oak. The walls and ceilings are finished with concrete and whitewashed cement plates.
above: architect Robert Konieczny of KWK Promes
location: Okrzeszyn, near Warsaw
architect: Robert Konieczny - KWK Promes
collaboration: Marcin Jojko
site area: 2500 m2
usable floor area: 566,51 m2
volume : 1719 m3
design : 2004
construction : 2005-2008
kwk promes architects
- More driving music. For M & me.
- Omani Arabic-for my girl in Jordan- part 1
- Saluting Design: An Army Of Military-Inspired Prod...
- UNICEF report on women and children in Oman, 2006
- The Omani Dress Project
- Frankincense, part 1
- Pretty Omani Hijab Styles and Make-Up
- Omani Bridal Hijab Styles
- Dixie Chicks-Wide Open Spaces & Cowboy Take Me Awa...
- Who I am-by Jessica Andrews
- yellow jilbab "barbie rumbai"
- green jilbab "barbie rumbai"
- Dennis Hopper, Behind The Camera And The Canvas.
- All the Cute Ramadan and Eid Decorations
- So Long Easy Rider. Dennis Hopper Dies Of prostate...
- MADDECK Playing Cards By Ozlem Olcer. They're Magi...
- Food Presentation Ideas for Ramadan
- Cubistic Cubbies: Cornell Boxes From TECTA
- Moon, Star, and Palm Decorations for Ramadaan
- Yummy Ramadaan Recipes: crescent Moon cookies
- Converse All Stars Go Upscale. Beautiful Leather H...
- Add Some Body Hair To Your Wardrobe, Courtesy Of N...
- beautiful jilbab pink
- beautiful jilbab wholesale
- jilbab wholesale color orange,red and blue
- The PANTONE Hotel In Brussels Offers Colorful Acco...
- Dr. Romanelli X Levi's California Beach Capsule Co...
- See This Art Exhibit Before It Migrates. Borderlan...
- picture jilbab fashions show
- Make A Doody In Denim: Huggies Launches Jean Diape...
- Mad About Khaleeji Abayas
- Dress Jilbab Brides Deborah Collection
- jilbab bridal by fatmasari
- elegant and exclusive jilbab bridal
- Cute Omani Kids
- Design That's Up To Par. La Bolleur's Mini Golf Co...
- Little Girl's Bedroom Design Inspiration
- Persian Fantasy Wallpaper for Bedroom/ a pink bedr...
- I wanna go skating.... Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!
- The Safe House In Poland Is A Modern Fortress With...
- My new blue and green room: inshaAllah
- Vintage Style DC Comic Posters By Michael Myers Jr...
- Damien Hirst & Other Artists Do Deck Chairs
- Zaho-Je te promets
- Driving in Oman (and yes, I know the cartoon isn't...
- An Omani Princess' To-Do List
- Home Decor That Goes Up To 11. Rock n' Roll Furnis...
- Handball First Division Championship Winner 2010
- jilbab bride by fatmasari
- It's A Scooter! It's A Stroller! It's The Roller...
- Stylish Jilbab Modern Bride
- Brinca Dada Does It Again! The Bennett House Minia...
- white and pink jilbab bride
- creation of a jilbab Muslim bride
- Olivier Kosta-Théfaine (Stak) Fires Up Some Cool C...
- 6 Minute Film By BBH For Johnnie Walker Takes Top ...
- jilbab bride made of siffon chameleon
- populer beautiful jilbab bride
- Artist Decorated Eames Chairs For Auction Benefit ...
- LOST: The Animated Series Project By Michael Myers...
- Super Sexy CPR Sells Fortnight Lingerie
- Sweet New Book! Lolli-POP by Massimo Gammacurta
- Transportation in Oman pt 1
- Omani Women's Traditional Clothing for Formal Occa...
- Handcrafted Wooden Trays Inspired By Architectural...
- gallery jilbab grosir
- The most popular beautiful jilbab
- jilbab grosir murah payet jepang bunga
- Design Your Own Throw Pillows At Inmod
- Dream & Fly. Mini Hotel Pods For The Weary Travele...
- Jilbab Jumbo wholesale Rayon Sulam
- Jilbab grosir Jumbo Kombinasi
- jilbab is a different definition of beauty
- World's Most Expensive Barbie Unveiled: Over Half ...
- Disney Hips Up Their Plushies & Classic Characters...
- Jilbab Grosir Murah untuk anak-anak
- jilbab grosir siana tali batik
- 4 macam jilbab grosir murah desain batik
- Who's The Man? Artist Rudy de Belgeonne, That's Wh...
- Private Co-Branding. Karl Lagerfeld's Strippable M...
- 0 To 60 In... An Hour. The Infiniti Special Editio...
- The Glänta Ceiling & Suspension Lamp By Johan Carp...
- A Sneak Peek At The 2010 Vader Project & Auction C...
- The Photography Of Eva Mueller
- More Amazing Arboreal Architecture. Baumraum Tree ...
- Pap(i)er Fashion At The Museum Bellerive
- Lean, Mean, Trims The Green & Every Lazy Homeowner...
- Jean Nouvel's New National Museum Of Qatar
- Metamorfosi Sinks & Origami Tubs From Stocco of It...
- Some Of The Sharpest Sharpie Art Out There
- Growing Rings & Necklaces by HAF, Now Available
- jilbab grosir cantik kancing 4 stripes
- jilbab grosir siana tali batik
- four Model Muslim Jilbab Fashion
- World's Most Expensive Dog Collars For The Haute H...
- jilbab grosir berwarna putih
- jilbab grosir berwarna hijau
- jilbab grosir berwarna kuning
- The Abaya as a Cape in Muslim Fashion Show
- Emirati Silver Square Abaya of Muslim Fashion
- ▼ May (120)
- ► 2009 (391)