Monday, January 17, 2011

Daily Diary: AN accidental evening at the Seeb Exhibition Center

Last night I was #400 plus something at the ROP registration office in Ghala/seeb-ish area that I can't describe any better.

So, I went to the Seeb exhibition center. It was promoting everything his Majesty had accomplished for Omanis.

The place was "almost" empty of Omanis [no shopping I teased MOP] except the ones manning the exhibition and those whose works made an effort to frequent the stalls pertaining to them.

"Why would this interest us a great deal?" MOP remarks. "This is nothing new for Omanis. EVERYDAY our government is telling us what it does for us."

Which, I suppose, I would know, if my Arabic were better. Alas, there was also a lack of expats due to most of the exhibits signage being arabic-only.

My favourite booths: Oman Women's Association because they gave us helwa and qhawa and had traditional Omani dresses on display. Oman Air, because they had free candies. Oman education ministry (also free candies). Oman Agriculture ministry also had an awesome greenhouse model FILLED with huge strawberries, that were they to be to scale, would be the size of bicycles. This amused me greatly.

So did the chap from the Minstry of Housing who told me expats can buy and own land anywhere in Oman that Omanis can. Which is wrong information, but then, they wouldn't send the expat guy, since the signs and info pamphlets were all in Arabic too.

The exhibition also had the world's longest card (made for Omani women's day) on display. The pic from above was taken for that event to commemorate Omani Women's Day. MOP encouraged Princess to sign it but she didn't want to since she isn't REAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLY Omani.

WHAT WAS INTERESTING THOUGH (And she spoke english) was the plans for making a garden/conservatory/ plant natural biodiversity and heritage village in Al Khoud to showcase all Omani plant environments and their growths, and to preserve the traditional uses for plants and the knowledge thereof. Interesting to me.

Well, it was still, like 200 people in front of me still to go at the registration office, to I went to Mutrah and bought 40 (yes, you heard that right) samboosas for 1 rial. I ate 20 and was so stuffed with greasy yumminess that a walk on the Corniche was required to cure the guilt.

Returned to registration with the Shorta, only 50 people in front of me to go. Allllllllllllright!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Copyright © 2010 | Mixed Fashion Design | Privacy Policy