Thursday, December 16, 2010
Combination Tourbillon Watch & Cell Phone. Le Dix By Celsius X VI II.
Like a butterfly spreading its wings, LeDIX, the first creation from Celsius X VI II, has taken flight after four years of research and development. Is it a pocketphone- watch or a watch cell phone? It is above all a resolutely novel nomadic object that pushes the boundaries of imagination.
At first glance, LeDIX is a clamshell cell phone with an integrated tourbillion watch. As streamlined as a sports car, this aerodynamic creation is made from polished and brushed grade 5 titanium discreetly enhanced by inserts. It is the ultimate expression of contemporary elegance.
The exclusive mechanical movement, developed under the technical supervision of Celsius X VI II, has what it takes to appeal to the most demanding watchmaking connoisseurs: a flying tourbillion equipped with exclusive shock absorbers and more offset than any existing model; a modern design focusing on transparency; as well as fine watch finishing and decoration. The stage setting chosen for this movement ensures peerless visibility and aesthetic elegance.
When LeDIX opens its wings, an attentive listener perceives a gentle noise that micromechanical devotees are sure to appreciate. It comes from the patented winding system of its horological component. Housed within the hinge, this Remontage Papillon (Butterfly Winding) is activated with each opening, thereby adding three hours of power reserve to the total 100 hours – a major innovation that elevates this nomadic object to an extraordinary, fusional dimension.
This state-of-the-art communication device comprises a range of features that take micromechanics well beyond its usual boundaries, including: a mechanical battery-ejection system; a main connector protected by a mechanical-locking flap; and screen-flap closing cushioned by a set of spring mounted ball bearings.
The electronic communication platform combines high performance with extreme reliability. Designed in collaboration with renowned French company, recognised as a global benchmark in the field of customised connected lifestyle devices, it embodies the most demanding quality standards.
Its interface, which deliberately focuses on the essential mobile functions, makes LeDIX the ultimate personal phone, specifically designed for the pleasure of escaping from daily routine. This approach targeting durability, quality and simplicity involved a number of challenges, such as handling interferences with the moving watch components, or with the metal casing - itself a token of nobility and superior resistance.
The fusion of haute horologerie with the world of mobile technology led to some innovative features, such as the mechanical whisper of time constantly accompanying every communication.
“LeKit” - the no-hands kit secured by a tie-pin style clip:
“LaBase” - the docking station:
“LaChaîne”, the innovative chain system:
and “LeCoffret”: the presentation box, all devised and designed by Celsius X VI II.
They are crafted in noble materials and equipped with mechanical components reflecting the brand's fundamental concept. Leather items, such as “LeHolster”: the holster-type pouch, are made from top-quality hand-sewn hides. LeDix and its ecosystem herald a new and prestigious mechanical world.
LeDIX is available in two limited editions:
· LeDIX Origine, limited edition of 18 in grade 5 titanium with ebony inserts
· LeDIX Véloce, limited edition of 28 in black PVD-treated titanium with carbon fibre inserts
Technical Specifications for LeDIX
· Clamshell mobile phone
· Around 600 mechanical parts, including 330 in the watch movement alone
· Structure entirely milled from a block of grade 5 titanium
· High-end watchmaking finishes: polishing, satin-brushing, Clous de Paris hobnail pattern, shotblasting
· Patented mechanical hinge (Remontage Papillon), serving to harness and store the kinetic energy generated by the user. On this specific model the energy is then used to activate the mechanical system
· 100-hour power reserve. Each opening and closing of the clamshell phone generates an additional 3 hours of power reserve
· Flying Solitaire tourbillion visible on both sides. World’s most off-centered tourbillion (36 mm)
· Regulating organ mounted on shock-absorbers (4 springs)
· Movement integrated within water-resistant box in aluminium treated with GL coating of titanium and ceramics to ensure extreme resistance
· Mechanical battery-ejection system, Clous de Paris hobnail pattern
· 7 main sapphire parts, some featuring two radii of curvature
· Technology developed in cooperation with a French company, renowned for the high quality and reliability of its platforms. Every platform is tested to meet the highest standards.
· Platform Made in France, 2.75G GSM-GPRS-EDGE : Triband 900/1800/1900MHz
· User interface deliberately simple, user friendly and designed to optimize the ergonomics
· Screen AM-OLED : 2.2" QVGA 320x240 262k colours
· Photo / Video : 3.2Mpix camera, Autofocus, Flash, Digital Zoom
· Music : MP3, AAC, AAC+, Music Player. Stereo, 3D sound
· Video streaming, video capture and playback, progressive download
· Bluetooth 1.2 Profile : AADP, AVRCP
· MMS, Java application, 2Go internal memory (SD card), Browser open source
· Battery: Li-Ion 770mAh, >3.5 hours talking time, 240 hours of power reserve in standby mode
· Multi-lingual interface, including: French, English, Chinese, Russian, Spanish, Arabic
Ecosystem of accessories:
· “LeHolster”: Minimum of 2 hand-stitched leather accessories designed by Celsius X VI II and made by specialized craftsmen
· “LeKit”: Mechanical Hands-Free Kit in leather and polished /satin-brushed metal. This “tie pin” accessory includes an ingenious system ensuring the wires do not tangle
· “LaBase”: Mechanical Docking Station in wood, leather and polished and satin brushed metal to recharge and synchronize the phone. A mechanical system enables easy docking and undocking of the phone
· “LaChaîne”: Chain equipped with mechanical components: belt attached with spring-mounted beads and mechanically linked to the phone.
THE GENESIS OF CELSIUS X VI II
The founding concept behind Celsius X VI II was born in 2005 in the mind of Thomas Pruvot, a mechanical engineer specialised in industrial design, during a flight from Paris to Hong Kong. Frustrated at losing the time display when he had to switch off his cellphone, he had the idea of adopting a mechanical solution inspired by watchmaking. Thomas soon produced some sketches and showed them to a childhood friend.
Romaric André, who had just graduated from business school, proved an ideal partner thanks to his entrepreneurial mindset and a capacity to take the inherent risks. Both launched into the adventure with a confidence tinged with naïvety. Their early stages were more akin to an artistic approach than to a business start-up. They spent most of the time devising the mechanised cellphone of their dream, fine-tuning it in step with meetings they arranged with specialists from the various fields involved. Building on their youthful energy, their primary aim was to appeal to people rather than to prove the potential profitability of their scheme. At that time, Thomas was still in paid employment and so it was up to Romaric to handle the various administrative procedures. While some people were sceptical and funding the endeavour was no easy task, other encounters proved fruitful. Personal conviction enabled the pair to stand firm in the face of obstacles and to find means of bouncing back.
Alejandro Ricart, a friend Romaric had met while studying at a university in the United States, was contacted during 2007, at one of the critical moments of the project in gestation. He joined the team, thus contributing the professional skills acquired in a Barcelona consulting company, as well as the fruit of an aristocratic family background. He was one of those who approved and even reinforced the decision to aim for a firmly prestigious, uncompromisingly top-quality product strategy.
The team managed to attract the attention of an independent risk capital company which suggested that it should first and foremost broaden its field of competence. Edouard Meylan thus began the fourth member to join the adventure at the start of 2008. In addition to his family roots in the Swiss fine watch industry, he also brought with him a wealth of marketing and sales experience acquired in Asia with a distributor in this sector.
The group thus formed features a particularly valuable range of complementary talents, further backed by the enthusiastic support of eminent figures that later became the Executive Board Advisors, including Hugues-Olivier Borès, a strategy and marketing consultant well known in watchmaking circles, as well as telecommunications expert Jean-Marie André. Finally, Richard Mille, won over by the youthful team’s determination to pursue absolute perfection, agreed to sit on the future company’s Board of Directors. This impressive set of human factors, along with the interest generated by the innovative nature of the project, finally convinced Sofinnova Partners to invest in Celsius X VI II. The support of this European leader in the financing of young tech companies is a well-deserved token of recognition of the multiple resources engaged in the venture. The good news of their backing was confirmed in mid-2008 and ever since, Thomas, Romaric, Alejandro, Edouard and their partners have been unswervingly and entirely committed to gradually giving shape to their dream of a micromechanical cellphone.
Celsius X VI II
18, rue du Faubourg du Temple
75011 Paris - France
tel +33 (0) 155 28 17 92
via NOTCOT, images and info via Celsius X VI II
- Weekend Recap: We're Going to Sinaw, We're going t...
- JOKE: What is the difference between an Omani Wife...
- Hyper Realistic Paintings of Vintage Board Games; ...
- Those Crazy Leaf Carvings; What, How & Where To Bu...
- Martini Gold by Dolce & Gabbana; The Fellini-esque...
- Saudi Arabian Gossip about women driving: I heard ...
- Weekend Recap
- The Best Of The Best Of 2010 Lists & Links
- Weekly Pics 2
- Family Meddling in Marriages in Oman
- Tales from the Tarmac, part 2
- The 100 Hour/ 38 Day Skull Drawing.
- Discarded Christmas Trees Become Stools In The Chr...
- 2010 National Gingerbread Competition Winners In E...
- Track Santa With NORAD, How It Works & Fun Facts F...
- All I Want For Christmas Is... Jews
- MERRY CHRISTMAS!
- Nibble Nibble Little Mouse, Who Is Nibbling On My ...
- Crack Up At The Crandall Family Christmas Cards.
- Frank Lloyd Wright's Falling Water In Gingerbread ...
- Fond Childhood Memories of Christmas in Oman and T...
- TALES FROM CANADA: The Saudis and the Trees
- Quote of the Day: Smiling like an idiot
- Hip Leggings & Sci-Fi Swimsuits From Black Milk.
- 3D Sculpted Paper Heads By Bert Simons
- MY BOOK: Chapter 3, on the road from Mutrah
- Daily Diary: Sumail Stretch, doing the touristy th...
- Why is it every time I go to a clinic in Oman I ge...
- The Beauty of Breaking Down. Stranded Motorists Ph...
- The First 3D Custom Font From Freedom Of Creation
- How The World Searched. Top Google Searches Of 201...
- The Designer's Balls. CMYK Christmas Ornaments Fro...
- Pantone Christmas Wrapping Paper, Gift Bags, Gift ...
- Outside & Inside A Modern Slanting Cement House in...
- Combination Tourbillon Watch & Cell Phone. Le Dix ...
- Christmas 2.0 (or the Digital Story Of The Nativit...
- Cozy Hand To Hand Combat: Vs. Mittens From Hoopla
- Marrying One's Cousin in Oman, and Pepsi Babies
- Watching Movies in Oman
- Le Buisson, A New Collection Of Whimsical Fine Jew...
- Weekly Pics 1
- Pentagram's Daniel Weil Designs A Clock For An Arc...
- Link Love. Fabulousness Found Around.
- personal thoughts: on dealing with Omani inlaws
- BeoSound 8. A Colorful & Cool Docking Station For ...
- The Most Bizarre (and some of the tackiest) Places...
- Gardening in Oman
- The 'Sexist' and 'Miss Manners'
- GCC Airline Uniforms because... I think Oman's Bal...
- 10 under $100 for the Holidays - Party Dresses
- Man & Christmas Elf Explored In 14 Snowglobes By V...
- The Religion of Bruce Bacca. Based On Die Hard, Br...
- Rome Street Style
- Paper Fashions Preview : Pratt + Paper & Ralph Puc...
- Lulu's Cassanova
- I was attacked by my sister-in-law: not really
- DAILY DIARY: Fireworks and Asian Beach Games Openi...
- Star Wars Snowflakes & Templates To Make Your Own
- Space Loteria (Star Wars Mexican Bingo) By Chepo ...
- Danielle Shepherd Fashion Illustration
- Pics of the week
- The MetroShip. A Modern Luxury Houseboat For $250k...
- Gucci, Dior, Hermes Designer Christmas Trees. The ...
- DAILY DIARY: Another long weekend in Oman
- Annie Leibovitz Shoots A Spidey Fashion Editorial ...
- Bahla- Ad Dakliyah Region
- Suris---traditional Sharqiyah dress
- Pretty, a poem by Katie MakkaiWhen I was just a li...
- On the weekend I went to Muwalla's vegetable/fruit...
- APPARENTLY, I am not the ONLY ONE who has to scree...
- ISLAM IN OMAN FOR BEGINNERS: What are Sunnis
- Le Royale Monceau Hotel. Now Transformed By Philip...
- Gimme Power iPhone & iPod Chargers Extend A Hand T...
- Observational iPhone Photo Books From Partners & S...
- What I Wore: Roman Holiday
- Edgy Stocking Stuffers For Under $10 Bucks
- Blue Leopard
- 17 Awesome Art Compilation Calendars For 2011 From...
- The Hippest Gifts In Every Category For Everybody ...
- Lady Gaga, Justin Timberlake, Usher & More Sacrifi...
- DAILY DIARY: Hmmm, who do I get to meet today??? M...
- Visionaire 59 Fairytale: A Collection Of Unique St...
- A Wicked Way With Wood. Font Wall Art & Coasters B...
- ▼ December (84)
- ► 2009 (391)