Sunday, December 12, 2010

The 'Sexist' and 'Miss Manners'

If you came from my cultural background (as I do when it comes to manners of speech) you would probably think my husband [referred to on this blog as MOP] kind of sexist.

“Take dress!” he orders me when I am being lazy and don’t want to go to work and want to stay in my pajamas all day with a big fat orange cat on my lap, painting or reading.

In Carrefoure or Lulu: “Come here!” “Go there.” “Give me that,” as he snatches away my heavy basket which I insist upon lugging since I am strong enough to do so, and he is already pushing the cart and all, and carrying my lap top bag from work.

Gone are the ‘honeymoon’ days before marriage, when he would say “please come here” or “please get dressed”, or “thank-you” for handing him this or that, you would think.

Sometimes, I forget I am “Omani” now, and get all offended.

“Don’t tell me what to do!” I bark. “Take dress!” I scoff. “Now I will take EVEN LONGER to get ready, HA! Cuz you are bugging me:p!!!!!”

Yes, yes, I idiotically do that.

In my culture, saying “please” “thank you” “you’re welcome” are absolutely tantamount to respect and care, and of course, these things should certainly not be left out for the one you love.
So when I say Thank you, MOP, for bringing me the mango juice I asked for.” “Thank you MOP, for buying us dinner” HE gets all offended, like, “You are my wife, what am I supposed to do? Thank you is for strangers.”

Apparently, for family and loved ones and the closest of friends, barking orders is a way to show you are bestest best friends forever and the like.

I admit. I can’t do it.

I cannot bark orders or fail to get offended when I am told, not asked to do something.

I admire MOP. He has changed alot, and me, only very little.

MOP has adapted his manners accordingly, but still thinks it most absurd that I like “please” and “thank you”.

And I can't upload pipctures now because I for some reason, have blocked file uploads to the net from my desktop with new software, IT genius that I am;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Copyright © 2010 | Mixed Fashion Design | Privacy Policy